Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Breakfast Edit: Are Oats the new winter staple?



When it comes to breakfast, changing from one routine to another is a little like trying to convince a 5 year old to eat their vegetables, except that this "5 year old" is actually 25 years old and loveeeeees food. So what does one do? Give up? NEVER. Not me. With winter having taken a firm grip over Johannesburg, I started craving warm winter breakfasts, that fed more than the body but also the soul, you know the types? That feel good breakfast that makes you sigh with relief once you've finished eating. Well that's what I was craving. Outside of my favourite breakfast of scrambled eggs on toasted ciabata with creme fraiche and smoked trout with some fresh lemon juice, I wanted something else, something more "old school" if you will. Enter oats. I know, I know its probably many peoples least favorite but for me its one of those feel good breakfasts that warms you up straight to the core.

With my "5 year old" in mind (whom by the way, childlike lay on the office floor screaming "I don't want, I don't want" ha ha, welcome to the craziness of our home). But after some coaxing from my end, I managed to convince him that if he just tried it, I would make him anything he wants the following day for breakfast, and with that simple sentence, the battle was won, at least for now.

As seen above I tried to make it appetizing by giving this old school classic a modern twist by adding 2 spoon fulls of cream, some sugar to sweeten,  a teaspoon of vanilla essence, preserved green figs and some ground black pepper to add a slight bite. I must say, despite my greatest efforts I am not 100% sure I like it as much as the classic served with milk and honey but I will keep trying to perfect this recipe to suite both palates.

No comments:

Post a Comment